According to IGN, Club Nintendo is shutting down, and Nintendo will be replacing it with another membership program:
NINTENDO DISCONTINUES CLUB NINTENDO TO MAKE WAY FOR A NEW MEMBERSHIP PROGRAM
Update: Nintendo has posted a notice on Club Nintendo's imminent closure
The full text of the discontinuation notice follows:
January 20, 2015
Important Information on Club Nintendo Program Discontinuation
Dear Club Nintendo Members,
Thank you for your continued loyalty to Nintendo.
We launched Club Nintendo 6 years ago in North America, and we’re grateful for all of the feedback that our members have provided on your experiences with our products.
In order to focus on planning for a new customer loyalty program for our fans, we’ve decided to wind-down the Club Nintendo program. We are deeply thankful to our members for being a part of Club Nintendo for all of these years.
We will share details about our new program at a later date. For now, please see the schedule below for information on the discontinuation timeframe for Club Nintendo.
All Coins will be deleted when Club Nintendo accounts are closed on July 1, 2015. As a result, to give our members the best opportunity to use their Coins, we will add dozens of downloadable games and a limited quantity of exclusive reward items to the rewards catalog in February. In addition, as a small token of appreciation for your loyalty, all Club Nintendo members will receive a free download code for Flipnote Studio 3D in February 2015. Please visit here for information on the software and how to get the download code.
Club Nintendo program discontinuation schedule
Products released after this date are not eligible for registration with Club Nintendo
Last day to earn Coins, register products with Club Nintendo, and sign up for new Club Nintendo membership
Last day to redeem Coins or access your account on the Club Nintendo website. Club Nintendo program shuts down at 11:59pm PT on 6/30/2015.
Your Account and Coin Balance
The information in your Club Nintendo account will not be transferred to the new loyalty program. We are adding multiple items to our reward catalog, so please be sure to redeem your Coins before the deadline on June 30, 2015. Unused Coins will be deleted as of July 1, 2015.
2015 Elite Status
In order to reach Elite Status, you must earn 300 Coins (for Gold Status) or 600 Coins (for Platinum Status) between July 1, 2014 and March 31, 2015. Members who reach Elite Status will be able to choose a downloadable game from a wide selection of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U titles. Your free Elite Status gift will be available between April 1 and April 30, 2015. A list of the Elite Status 2015 gifts will be posted here once announced.
FAQs about Club Nintendo program discontinuation
- How long can I keep earning Coins?
- The last day to register products with Club Nintendo, take surveys, or earn Coins is March 31, 2015. Surveys in your To-Do list will be deleted after March 31, 2015, so please be sure to register products or take surveys by that date. Please note that products released after January 20, 2015 cannot be registered at Club Nintendo, and will not be eligible for surveys or Coins.
- But I have Club Nintendo PIN # that is valid past March 31, 2015.
- Products cannot be registered after March 31, 2015, regardless of the expiration date written on the PIN card.
- Will the games I download still be registered with Club Nintendo?
- Club Nintendo-eligible games that you download will continue to be registered to your account automatically until March 31, 2015 if your Nintendo eShop account is linked to your Club Nintendo account. After that date, games will no longer be registered with Club Nintendo. To find out which games you can register, please see Eligible Products. Click here to learn how to link your Nintendo eShop account to your Club Nintendo account.
- When is the last day to join Club Nintendo?
- You can join Club Nintendo until March 31, 2015.
- When is the last day to redeem Coins on Club Nintendo?
- The last day to redeem your Coins is June 30, 2015. Any unused Coins will be deleted on July 1, 2015. We are offering a large number of digital games, and select physical rewards, so we are sure you can find something you like. Limited quantities are available for the physical rewards, so please be sure to check out our Get Games & Rewards page for each item’s availability.
- What happens to my Coins if I don’t use them all?
- Any unused Coins in your Club Nintendo account will be deleted on July 1, 2015.
- When is the last day to get the download code for the digital games I chose?
- The last day to access your Club Nintendo account is June 30, 2015, so please be sure to get your 16-digit download code(s) for any games you’ve received before that date.
- Will the download code ever expire?
- Yes, all download codes redeemed from Club Nintendo will expire on July 31, 2015, so please be sure to download your game from the Nintendo eShop before that date.
- Do I need to cancel my membership?
- No, your account will automatically be cancelled on July 1, 2015, so there is no need for you to cancel your account.