So it's Monday night here on the East Coast, and Sony's press conference stream has just ended. There's so much going on that I'm just making short notes as things happen, and by no means is this a complete list of everything that happened, but my personal take on things.
Enjoy, such as it is. (I skipped the Smash Bros direct)
Nintendo World Championships 2015
- Announce that Mother 1 aka Earthbound Beginnings is now available on Wii U VC
- One event was a completely new 3DS game Blast Ball, Metroid-esque multiplayer goal scoring ball game
- Thrilling final event, showing off Super Mario Maker and some truly awesome levels: probably the best ad for the level creator game ever, and totally sold me on the idea.
- Congrats to John Numbers for winning the title of Champion, received award and signed NEW 3DS XL by Shigeru Miyamoto
- id shows DOOM: showed single player in a space base, lots of blood and guts, dismembering and evisceration, single campaign and multiplayer modes, every player can build level designs with Doom SnapMap, then showed singleplayer in Hell.
- Battlecry studios - team multiplayer melee battler, Beta begins in Autumn
- Arkane studios - Dishonored 2, can play as Corvo or Emily. Can play the game without killing anyone. Also Dishonored Definitive Edition available this fall, graphically enhanced for Xbox One and PS4
- Elder Scrolls Online Tamriel Unlimited updates with some new regions
- Elder Scrolls Legends - strategy card game - Hearthstone killer? F2P on PC and iPad - no gameplay shown at all so no idea what kind of game it is
- Fallout 4 - Extended gameplay shown. Pipboy Edition real thing you put on your wrist, and you put your phone in it, and is a pretty awesome second screen experience. Also a totally new game for smartphone and tablets “Fallout Shelter”, you get to make your own vault. Looking a bit like XCOM home base. It is free to play, you can buy more random loot in lunchboxes, but the whole thing is free, no paywall timers. Coming out tonight! :)
- Character creation, male and female, and baby! Dog also shown. Building and crafting of your home, and as settlement grows you have traders to buy items from. Very deep, many large sites in game where you can build. Crafting weapons and armor is also extremely customizable.
- Fallout 4 coming Nov 10 2015
- Ending celebrating first ever showcase by giving away a set of vinyl figures to each attendee.
Nintendo offers 9 free Wii U Indie DEMOS during E3, if you download them you can get discount on the full game
- Opens with Halo 5 Warzone multiplayer
- reCore Spring 2016 (Keiji Inafune and makers of Metroid) new IP
- Xbox One backward compatibility - interesting, natively playable 360 games, put in the disc, download the game, and play
- Elite wireless controller coming fall: new rear touch paddles, locking triggers, redesigned concave ‘d-pad’ disc - price released later $150!!!
- Fallout 4 - exclusive gameplay footage different from last night, more combat shown, different weapons, mech suit, mods created on PC can be shared with xbox One
- EA - (Peter Moore, COO) talks about EA access, the ‘best of EA for $5/mo’, members get to play early, access to the vault, and adding Titanfall this week, and Dragon Age Inquisition later in the summer. EA access is free to Gold Live members this week. No one is really excited. Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 announced: new characters, new worlds, new ways to play. Next Spring. World Premiere trailer shown. Danger Zone music. Cool looking Orange character.
- Ford Co. racing GT 50th anniversary, coming to Forza Motorsport 6. Actual car lowers from ceiling to circular platform, Henry Ford III talks about Ford and Forza.
- Bandai Namco - world premier… Dark Souls 3! now only embers remain…
- Tom Clancy’s The Division - trailer, exclusive beta first December 2015, Rainbow Six Seige comes in Fall.and come free with Rainbow Six Vegas and Vegas 2
- Gigantic - August 2015, F2P across Windows and Xbox One, colorful cartoony multiplayer action game
- Indie game highlight reel, ID@xbox
- Tacoma - from makers of Gone Home, Lunar Transfer Station, coming 2016
- Ashen - from Aurora 44
- Beyond Eyes from tiger & squid, about a blind girl
- Cuphead, Studio MDHR, the look of a 30’s cartoon with the precision of a 16-bit platformer. Looking pretty awesome.
- Xbox Game Preview community - an early access beta type service
- Dean Hall - DayZ creator - space exploration mmo “Ion” for xbox One and PC
- Crystal Dynamics - Rise of the Tomb Raider xbox exclusive gameplay demo (Holiday 2015). Again, Lara is shivering.Mind you, it is snowing.
- Rare Replay - 30th anniversary, 30 games for $30 including perfect dark, banjo kazooie, battletoads
- And a new game Xbox One exclusive - a shared world adventure game, bring players together, first person, Pirate ship, island, treasure chests, skeletons, naval battles, “Sea of Thieves”
- Fable Legends - Free to Play, Xbox One and Windows 10 exclusive. Cross platform play.
- Windows talk, and new relationship with Valve VR. Also touting partnership with oculus, which will include the controller.
- HoloLens shown. Brand director of Mojang - Minecraft. HoloLens edition of Minecraft shown.They just created a world on the table. You can manipulate it with your hand, voice, and zoom in and out. Lightning strikes where you look by just looking and saying.
- Gears of War Ultimate Edition- Aug 25, the first game remastered for Xbox One
- Coalition showed xbox one exclusive premiere of Gears 4 (Holiday 2016)
Live at E3
Lego Dimensions - Portal hee hee… Batman in Portal… Chell Lego figure...
Final Trailer for MGSV The Phantom Pain (Sept 1st)
- Mass Effect Andromeda (Holiday 2016)
- the new Need for Speed (Nov. 3rd)
- Star Wars the Old Republic (SWTOR) RPG - something new: more story in Knights of the Fallen Empire, bioware style story
- Unravel - new ip, character of string Yarnie (?)
- PVZ Garden Warfare 2 - mascot in a suit comes out, Zombot Factory
- NHL 16
- PGA Tour
- Ultimate Teams (across all sports)
- NBA Live 16
- FIFA 16 - Pele came out, women’s teams
- Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst - Feb 23, 2016
- Madden 16
- Star Wars Battlefront - gameplay shown, release date of November
- New South Park - The Fractured But Whole
- For Honor - 4v4 sword fighting melee set in various historical eras
- DLC for The Crew Wild Run
- Trials Fusion Expansion
- Tom Clancy The Division - Dark Zone shown, teams can betray one another,, betas early next year, March 8 2016
- Blue Byte - city builder to space, ANNO 2205, beta starts later this year
- Just Dance 2016 - you can use your smartphone as a controller for Just Dance, no longer need a camera, October, subscription for new songs all year long, for Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One. “Dance on Demand” subscription service.
- Rainbow Six: Seige - close quarters combat, everything is destructible, once you die you’re dead, Angela Bassett comes on to talk, Terrohunt mode is back, terrorists have the most advanced AI yet. Beta September 2015
- TrackMania Turbo - nothing to say, looks fun
- Assassin’s Creed - Syndicate
- New IP - multiple options to approach a mission, drugs and cartels - massive open world, Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Wildlands
Sony Playstation Press Conference
- Shawn Layden (President and CEO)
- People are losing their minds and he hasn’t even said the game
- The Last Guardian, of course! (2016) - trailer shows boy and his bird dog, with structures breaking and narrowly escaping. Shuhei Yoshida comes and speaks, thanking the Creative Director Yueda
- Guerrilla Games (Hermen Hulst) - new franchise. Cave paintings, vo talking about the world of the old ones (our modern cities), and taken over by plant growth. But tribal dwellers live amongst AI machines (robots). Kind of like Xenoblade, but if the humans had bows and blades. Game is called Horizon: Zero Dawn.
- Square Enix - the new Hitman (is it just called Hitman? The new Hitman?) 6 unique contracts exclusive to PS4. Agent 47 is back again.
- Street Fighter V - console exclusive (and PC) Beta July 23rd
- No Man Sky - a universe sized sandbox, showing some space combat between warring factions, the map size is galaxy sized, each dot of light is a sun with planets. All are undiscovered, many will never be explored ever. Planet with Sentinels, alien life, plants.
- Media Molecule - Dreams - a game about creativity, lucid dreaming, create and share your own dreams, and explore other people’s dreams. Using the PS4 controller, moving it around, and you can animate models as puppeteering. Wow.
- Firewatch - console debut on PS4, trailer shown
- Destiny - The Taken King expansion Sept 15th
- Assassin’s Creed Syndicate - Evie
- Final Fantasy - World of Final Fantasy PS4 and PSVita, a chibi looking FF
- Final Fantasy VII Remake - “coming first” to PS4 (not exclusive)
- Devolver Digital 4 new games - Ronin, a stealth sidescroller, EITR, a isometric brawler, Mother Russia Bleeds, a sidescrolling brawler, Crossing Souls, an 8 bit earthbound like brawler?
- Shenmue III on kickstarter - Yu Suzuki makes appearance, announces the sequel to Shenmue I and II. As the press conference ends, it’s already over $500,000, 27% of its $2,000,000 goal
- Batman Arkham Knight Scarecrow Nightmare Missions - pretty scary hallucinatory stuff
- Project Morpheus - Eve Valkyrie (space dogfights), Solfar Godling, The Deep (shark cage). 4 player couch coop with morpheus, side by side. Rigs is a 3v3 shooter with mechs.
- Suddenly we’re talking about Spotify and Vue. Vue will expand to a la carte channels and launch nationwide. Canada?
- Playstation partnering with Activision - COD Black Ops 3 (exclusive missions? I blanked out)
- Star Wars Disney Infinity 3.0 - for kids and family, 1 month early, Rise Against the Empire Playset exclusive to Playstation (the early part). Limited Edition Starter Pack. First time I've heard "kids" and "family" today.
- Star Wars Battlefront - more gameplay trailer
- Final thing - Uncharted 4 - A Thief’s End (demo goes badly at first - long wait for it to start, and then when it does, there’s no controller input and they have to restart again) Lots of shooting through a pretty tropical town, chase through the streets in a jeep.